No kitchen is complete without a cutting board, which is a must have in any type of food preparation. These usually come in various sizes, shapes, and materials. Silicone cutting boards are one of the more recent kids on the block, so to speak. So how well does it compare to traditional cutting boards made of wood or plastic?
A silicone cutting board’s main advantages include ability to be bent, easy maintenance, nonslip feature, convenient storage, and ease of sanitation, by putting it in the microwave for example. However, there are also disadvantages like its soft surface where knife marks can become visible and its retention of food smell and stains.
Cutting boards provide a clean and safe place for slicing meat, vegetables, and others. Because of that purpose, it is a must-have in the kitchen. But what type of cutting board should you buy? Let’s dive deeper into the pros and cons of silicone cutting boards so can decide if this is right for you.
Pros of Silicone Cutting Boards
Silicone cutting boards have features that set it apart from the rest. Here are some of the main advantages:
- Flexible and lightweight: Silicone cutting boards are flexible, which allow you to easily transfer sliced food into a container. It is also easy to store and transport. If you are going out for a picnic, you can easily roll it and add it to your basket. You can also simply hang it in your kitchen since most of these cutting boards come with a hole intended for hanging on hooks.
- Maintains knife sharpness: Since the cutting board is made from silicone, knives won’t get quickly damaged like on harder materials like stone, glass, marble, and steel. It creates a cushioned surface which is ideal for keeping your kitchen knives in top condition.
- Easy to sanitize: Silicon cutting boards are much easier to sanitize. Just pour boiling water on it or place it in the dishwasher to sanitize it. You can also place it in a microwave after cutting up meats to completely kill bacteria. After washing the cutting board and removing excess food, place it in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Non-slip feature: Nothing is more annoying than a cutting board that doesn’t stay in place. Silicon cutting boards adhere to their surfaces really well, creating a non-slippery surface that is safer and easier to cut on.
- Long Lasting and Colorful: Due to the material, silicone cutting boards come in lovely shapes and colors not usually found in wooden or stone cutting boards.
Some of them have functional designs like a groove around the surface that catches excess liquids while cutting. Most silicone cutting boards can be folded to easily transfer food to a container.
Check out this video by Liflicon on the main advantages of its silicon cutting boards compared to wooden boards:
Cons of Silicone Cutting Boards
Although silicon has many advantages when used as a cutting board, there are also downsides that you need to consider:
- Vulnerable to knife scratches. Because of its soft surface, silicon cutting boards can be vulnerable to damage from very sharp knives. Although the material is sturdy, you will typically see knife marks on silicon boards after prolonged use, especially if your cutting board is not made from high-quality material. Once your boards get knife marks, there’s not much you can do to restore it back to pristine condition. Bear in mind that there are silicone cutting boards made with premium materials that is thicker and more knife-resistant.
- Undesirable smell. Another thing that you won’t like about these boards is their plastic-like smell, especially when it is newly bought. It takes several washes before the smell completely vanishes. That is why it is important to thoroughly wash your cutting board first before using it for the first time. It also has the tendency to retain food smell. Hence, wash your silicon board properly after every use.
- Not stain-resistant. If you are the type who likes to keep everything pristine and like new, you might not like the fact that silicon cutting boards aren’t stain-resistant. After prolonged use, you will start to see food stains on it, which are all but impossible to remove.
Are Silicone Cutting Boards Safe?
Silicone cutting boards that are made from high-quality materials are water repellent and scratch-resistant. These features make them very hygienic, since they make it hard for bacteria to harbor on their surface, unlike some wooden boards for example. Furthermore, high quality silicon cutting boards can be boiled or put in the microwave to thoroughly kill any bacteria, further improving food safety.
When shopping for silicon cutting boards, look for ones that are BPA free.
Best Silicone Cutting Boards
If you think that a silicone cutting board is perfect as your kitchen tool, here are some of the best ones from the market. Check out the list below:
This BPA free and FDA approved cutting board is available in different colors. It is thick, flexible and will not wear out quickly. It can also be safely used in the microwave, freezer, oven, steamer, and dishwasher.
What I love most about Liflicon is that it’s made of 100% food grade silicon. I’m not saying you should eat your cutting board, but it’s good to know that even if some of the silicon somehow makes its way into your food, it won’t hurt you.
Food safety experts suggest using different cutting board for each food type to avoid cross-contamination. The Casabella cutting board set comes with four different designs in bright colors. Each cutting mat features a food icon which signals what food you can cut on it. Its function and modernized hourglass shape makes it easier to roll the cutting board into a funnel when transferring food. It also has silicone backing for non-skid stability which prevents slipping on countertops.
Are Silicone Cutting Boards Worth Buying?
For everyday household use, a silicon cutting board is a great asset in my opinion. They are lightweight, easy to clean and sanitize, and won’t dull my expensive Japanese knives easily. Most silicone cutting boards have anti-bacterial protection that inhibits cross-contamination as well. These handy kitchen tools are available in various colors and shapes that really light up my kitchen.
Like anything, there are some people who may not find silicon cutting boards appealing, however. The 3 main downsides are that they eventually stain, can have a strange smell in the beginning, and aren’t built for heavy duty cutting like in a professional kitchen. However, for everyday use, again, they are much more versatile than wooden cutting boards.
Also see: Are Silicone Utensils and Bakeware Safe?